Hidden Person, Hidden Heart
Hidden Hearts | Week 1
10/9/2022 | By Jim Burgen
What does God say about loving and honoring your significant other? Tune into this message and hear what Jim has to say about what God want's for your marriage.
// Bible References 1 Peter 3:1-6
- Prodigals Available on "Our God Will See Us Through (Live)" from North Point from Centricity Music
- There's Nothing Our God Can't Do Available on "There's Nothing Our God Can't Do (Live)" from sixsteprecords, Sparrow Records
- Run To The Father Available on "Run To The Father" from Carnes Music Group LLC, Sparrow Records
- Graves Into Gardens Available on " Rattle " from Elevation Music
What is something that you have attached a high value to or that is very important to you that others might not think the item you value isn’t really all that important? (Mine is my baseball card collection)
[You may want to divide your group for a more robust discussion for the Challenge Section]
- To honor means to attach a high value to something. The object doesn’t change, just its value in your eyes. Jim said that if we follow God’s plan for marriage, it should be “mutually honoring”. What would that look like and what are some steps you can take to “attach a high value” to our spouses?
- Why is it so hard for anyone to “be subject to” or submit to another person? Is the difficulty easier for one sex versus the other? Why or why not?
- Read Ephesians 5:15-21. Men and women are called to “submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.” While this does not specifically apply to marriage, the underlying premise is that you submit because of your reverence for Christ, not because it makes earthly sense. Give examples of how submitting to others conflicts with the messages from upbringing or current culture.
- Read Proverbs 11:12,16 and 31:30. Compare/contrast external beauty versus internal beauty regarding how it is acquired, how it is maintained, and long-term sustainability.
- What do men/husbands/boyfriends do that make the “be subject to” option more difficult? (Men – just listen and don’t get defensive…your challenge is next week.)