Looking For Identity - Week 1
July 4, 2021 | By Ben Foote
Our identity is often shaped by social media, lack of face-to-face conversations, and many other temporary, fleeting things.
- “Party In The U.S.A.” by Miley Cyrus
Available on “The Time Of Our Lives” by Miley Cyrus
- “Great Things” by Phil Wickham
Available on “Living Hope by Phil Wickham
- “Death Was Arrested” by North Point Worship
Available on “Death Was Arrested” by North Point Worship
- “Lean Back” by Capitol City Music
Available on “Kingdom Come (Live)” by Capitol City Music
- Do you feel a certain pressure to portray your life a certain way on social media? Or do you feel pressure to engage with other people’s social media to maintain those “friendships?”
- In a time where we can be connected to millions of people with the click of a button, and we can have thousands of “friends,” would you say that isolation and loneliness are more prevalent than ever before? Have you personally experienced that?
- Where do you find yourself searching for identity, love, & acceptance outside of Jesus? Social media, work performance, approval from parents, your kids, attention from the opposite sex, academic/athletic performance
- Why is it so hard for us to show the real, imperfect, messy parts of ourselves to people? What is at risk if we do that?
- Read 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 as a group. Most of us can identify with at least one of the names on that list. What does it mean for you to know that because of Jesus and what He did for us, you don’t have to live by that identity but to get live as a son/daughter of God (1 John 1:12-13)?
- Read Matthew 11:28. What would change in your life if you truly laid down your burdens (loneliness, isolation, fear, stress) and allowed Jesus to give you rest and a new identity?