Real Christians Don’t Doubt | Week 2
June 11, 2023 | By Ben Foote
Doubt and faith are not mutually exclusive. Doubt is simply part of the faith journey, Jesus knows that and he’s strong enough to handle it. He will love you in the midst of your doubt.
Prodigals by North Point Worship Available on "Our God Will See Us Through (Live)" from North Point from Centricity Music
Firm Foundation (He Won't) by Maverick City Music Available on "Firm Foundation (He Won't) Single" from Tribl Records
Living Hope by Phil Wickham Available on "Living Hope" from Phil Wickham
// Bible References
Hebrews 11:1 John 20:24-31; Mark 9:24
// Community Question: What does it mean to doubt the Nuggets will win the title? How could this doubt affect your life in Denver?
// Discussion Questions
- In the sermon Ben relayed a misconception or misunderstanding Christians can have. He said, “Real Christians don’t doubt.” How could this misconception/misunderstanding hurt our faith or others’ faith? What impact has this belief had on you or people you know?
- Ben gave three main reasons for doubts: Intellectual, Religious Baggage, and Negative Life Experiences. Of these reasons, which one do you think produces the most doubt? Why? Has doubt negatively affected you, your friends, or family? How?
- Read Hebrews 11:1. Ben related that the author is not referring to Blind Faith (Unquestioning belief in something, even when it is unreasonable or wrong) but Huge Faith that requires our doubts, frustrations, concerns…AND our hope, trust, and confidence in the unseen. How could having Huge Faith help us grow closer to Jesus and deepen our faith? Why is it important to be honest about our doubts and seek help in strengthening our faith and searching for answers?
- Read Mark 9:24. Ben relates this statement to the idea of trusting Jesus with our doubts and seeking help from him to overcome unbelief. How can the father's statement 'I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief,' be applied to our own faith journey? In what areas of your life do you need Jesus' help in overcoming unbelief, and how can you seek that help?
- In the sermon Ben challenged those who have doubts to “Let Jesus speak for Himself” by reading the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. What are some practical ways you can seek answers in the Gospels while engaging your faith community with your doubts, questions, and findings?
// Challenge: What skepticism and doubts have you been clinging to that you want to share with the group? Which gospel can you commit to start reading this week,